I have had something on my mind for the past several days now, and I can't quite seem to get over it. I'm not sure why, but I have always been extremely sensitive when I see or hear people judging others. And when I read something that a "friend" posted on Facebook that was SO judgmental, it really affected me. At first I just thought to myself, "wow, that was really insensitive and uncalled for," but then after a few hours I couldn't help going back and looking at all of the comments that were left on that status [all of which kindly disagreed with this "opinion"] and for some reason it made me more upset. Maybe it was because I saw that there were others that were offended by this statement and I knew I wasn't just being my sensitive self.
I have never understood why people have to be so judgmental of others--especially when they don't know what kind of situation these people are in or especially when they don't even know them! I know we ALL judge at some point or other, but this is one thing that I always try to keep myself from doing because it hurts me when I see it happening.
While I was listening to General Conference this weekend, I heard President Uchtdorf's talk and, in particular, this quote:
"When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following--STOP IT! It's that simple! We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and his children."
It instantly reminded me of this offensive Facebook post. I said in my mind, "geez, I really hope *insert name here* is listening to this!!" but then as he kept speaking I started applying it to myself. Especially when he said to stop holding grudges. I need to let it go! Although I really do hope this person regrets what he or she said, I am no longer going to fret over it. Whether I like it or not, I am judging this person for judging others! I need to STOP IT!
So, I guess what I'm writing this for is, not only for myself, but to plead with all of you to please stop being so ridiculing and judging of others. Whether they are black or white, gay or straight, Mormon or Atheist, liberal or conservative, single parents or married, wealthy or poor, please try to be Christlike!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It is not our place to judge others. If you believe that how someone is living is not righteous or is wrong for any reason, let them be judged by God--NOT BY YOU! We do not know someone's circumstances--God does.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" John 8:7
PS-- If any of you did not hear Pres Uchtdorf's talk, I highly recommend reading it in the General Conference issue of the Ensign [or find it online]. I tend to get ADD listening to long talks like these, but this was honestly the best talk I have heard in a long time.
2 comments:
I loved that talk too. I always try to be compassionate and nonjudgmental, but it was a good reminder that I still have a long way to go.
Good post, that talk was a great reminder to us all. I also love the bumper sticker he quoted, "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you." It's so true, non of us are without sin so why look down at someone who is doing different sins than you.
Post a Comment