5.07.2011

Race For The Cure!

In celebration of my mom, our family has gone to the Race For The Cure from year one [the year she was diagnosed with breast cancer].  With the exception of one year [my best friend's wedding], we have gone every year!!!  It always surprises me how much the crowd grows year after year!  The first year there were only a few hundred, and this year there were over 20,000 participants!!  It is such a fun time, and this year was my first time actually running the 5K, so it was an extra fun time for me!  Although I must say... It was really hot while running and dodging all the walkers and strollers... ugh!

All the runners... Plus two little ones who felt left out :)

The whole fam! [minus my brother Dave's family, we missed you!]


Jared was my support!  Thanks love for staying with me the whole race :) I know it was hard for you to not finish #1 for once... But I am so thankful that I had you to support me through the whole ~3.1 miles~ ...whoopty-doo!  But it meant a lot to me!  Next stop, RAGNAR!


Of course, the whole point of this race was my mom.  She's coming up on 15 years cancer free, and I couldn't be more proud :) I will always remember how optimistic and loving she still was while going through chemotherapy.  I never once heard her complain, not even when she had every right in the world to be upset.  She was diagnosed the day before my 8th birthday, and the fact that she waited until after my birthday to tell the family must say something about how selfless she is, right?

I love you Moo Moo, you are truly an inspiration to me and many others around you.  XoXoX

1 comment:

Lizzy Hortin said...

Yay for Darla!!! And for you Rachel! Not everyone can run a 5k so you really should be proud. What a cute family you have!