8.27.2011

Stress!

Well, here I am, 8AM on a Saturday morning.  I just got back from my pathetic "run" and I feel like the stress is finally really catching up to me...

First...  School started this week.  I'm taking three online classes [since working full time kind of prohibits the ability to take classes on-campus], and two of them seem pretty simple.  Basic busy work, like most online classes.  My third class seems a little more challenging...  I actually have to sign up for "volunteer research labs"...  5 hours worth for this semester.  And once again, how am I supposed to get that in while working full time?  Ahh, I despise online classes SO much!

Second...  Work has been, well, not so pleasant.  I can't remember the last time we were fully staffed, and quite frankly, I feel like I carry a LOT of the load there.  I don't dare say more; let's just say that I don't look forward to going to work anymore.

Third, but definitely my biggest enemy right now...  Running.  Freak!  It's funny how they say running is supposed to be a stress-reliever, but in my case, running is my #1 stress right now!  What the HECK!!!  I'm training for a half marathon that's a few months away [October 29th, to be exact], and I don't know why on earth I am doing this to myself!  My body does NOT cooperate with me!

I will admit, I do feel as if I've improved in the past few months.  I guess.  I have a hard time focusing on that right now.  I know, I know, BAD attitude!

But here's the discouraging part...  I absolutely can NOT run in the mornings.  During the week I run in the evenings [at a very hill-filled park] after it's cooled off a bit, and usually I do just fine, even on the sucky hills [one aspect I am proud to say I've improved a ton on].  But on weekends when I wake up early to go running [a different, flat course, mind you], all sorts of mishaps start happening--first, of course, my legs feel like bricks; then I start getting a headache and my dreaded hip starts hurting; then [this is the worst part] I literally feel like I'm gasping for air.  Literally cannot get a deep breath.  It's almost like my childhood asthma comes back.  And no, trust me, I am most certainly not running too fast.  That's almost comical.  I've thought maybe I'm getting exercise-induced asthma, but it only happens in the mornings!  This morning I felt like I was having such a hard time breathing that it literally almost made me throw up.  So, in other words, I do just fine running hills, but absolutely cannot run a flat course...  Yeah, that makes sense.  You guys!  What's wrong with me?!!!  Am I just being the biggest wuss??

I've decided no more morning runs for me.  It's wayyy too discouraging.  But I am getting so, so, so concerned for this half marathon [that is, obviously, in the morning] that's coming up!  I know I am extremely hard on myself, and very competitive...  But really?  I've been running for about a year and a half now, it should not still be this hard, right?! 

I know a lot of you readers are avid runners...  So please, I am begging you to give me your absolute best advice right now!

I guess my only hope is to email the marathon staff and ask them to change it to a night marathon!  :)

2 comments:

Mikelus said...

Rach there's nothing wrong with not running in the morning. I don't run in the morning ever. I find I'm wired for the rest of the day (in a bad way). I always run later at night. In the morning, you go from a rested state, almost immediately into a very active state. Some people just can't do it. Nothing to be ashamed of haha. What I typically do in the mornings if I HAVE to run, is that night I make sure that I have plenty of fluids in my system so I don't get as many cramps. Also, do you have a specific running schedule? Like a way to chart how much more you are running each week? I'm actually training for the Deseret News Marathon in June, and you have to really pace yourself in climbing up the miles. I started out with 2 miles a week and every other week I increased it my a mile or two. Eventually I'll be up to about 40 miles a week. It's all about pacing. I'm sure you can it! :D

Lizzy Hortin said...

I'm sorry Rachel! Stress is not fun, especially if part of the stress is your running. We still have lots of time for training at least:) Just try to have fun with it and think of it in a positive way, maybe make a new playlist to run to? Music always helps me. Don't forget we're going running this Saturday!!!